Many people have been asking me about the journey that led to me running for TDSB trustee. What is it about me that qualifies me for this job? Here are a few highlights:
* For fifteen years, I ran the Light of DAE Studios, a not-for-profit venture aimed at helping at-risk youth. During this time, the Mayor of Pickering gave us the Business of the Year Award for our service to the community.
* I have many years of professional project management experience. What does that mean? I am an expert at implementing solutions and programs on time and within budget.
* Communication is my gig. I am a writer, a speaker, a trainer, a presenter. I know how to get a message across effectively, and even more crucially, I know how to listen.
* I am the parent of two kids in TDSB schools. One of my sons is autistic, which means I have a world of experience in advocacy with the school board. I was one of the driving forces behind the creation of a new special ed program in one of our schools that has changed the lives of many kids.
* I served as school council chair for two years. During this time, I worked with principals, the trustee and the superintendent to resolve problems. This means I will start the term of office with knowledge of how the school board operates.
* I have been living in this community for more than 15 years. I have formed valuable connections with community leaders, police officers, representatives from the municipal, provincial and federal governments, and more.